Friday, March 18, 2011

Kung Fu Hustle


Hi guys, this is Mike, I recently watched the Kung Fu Hustle and I figured I would share a few things from it that I found to be entertaining.

First I will give you a little background. The movie is set in the 1940's in Canton, China and the basic premise of the movie is about a guy who's entire goal in life is to join the notorious Axe Gang. As a result he is told that the easiest way to join the gang is to kill someone, so the first person he tries to kill is an old lady:





The humor used here is very typical of the director Stephen Chow who uses more of a bullying type of humor where the audience will tend to be amused by watching other people get hurt throughout the film.

Some of the cinematic elements used in this film were:
  • The good vs evil scenario where Sing, played by Stephen Chow, and The Beast, played by Siu-Lung Leung battle in a manner that just reeks of the idea that Sing is meant to portray some sort of a Jesus Christ figure while The Beast is obviously Satan. I say this because during the movie, Sing effectively dies, and then comes back to life to defeat the Beast. However the similarity to Christianity ends there because once the battle is over, The Beast then pledges his life to serve and learn from his new master, who just happens to be Sing, in the art of Kung Fu.
  • We also have several 360 Degree shots that pan around the action during fight scenes. This camera shot tended to give me the impression that the next thing that would happen in the movie would be something fantastic.
  • The "god shot" was also used a few times in the movie to show the magnitude of the individuals that were fighting, or to demonstrate how many people the "hero" could hold off at one time.
Personally I would give this movie a 2.5 out of 5. It is a movie that I enjoy watching in my spare time when I need a good laugh. However this movie is not one that you would want to watch if your goal is to see a movie with depth or a good plot because the duologue itself is very poor and really leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to be entertained and are OK with sitting through some very cheesy CG then I would recommend this movie, otherwise you probably should not waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment